Invited Saturday evening on France Info, the Minister Delegate in charge of Sports, Roxana Maracineanu, raised the possibility of a postponement of Roland-Garros due to the health crisis.
What if Roland-Garros was postponed again? While the Covid-19 pandemic is hitting the Ile-de-France region hard, the holding of the French Open is threatened. This year, Roland-Garros is due to start on May 17 and end on June 6. For the Minister Delegate in charge of Sports, Roxana Maracineanu, it is not excluded that the Grand Slam will be postponed if the health situation does not improve. “Reporter Roland-Garros” is currently a possibility being discussed with tournament organizers, the former swimmer told France Info on Saturday.
>> Sport in the face of the coronavirus, live news
Maracineanu: “We are trying to limit the chances of a cluster”
“We are in discussions with them to see whether it is necessary to change the date so that it coincides with a possible resumption of all sporting practice and major events, said Roxana Maracineanu. Today, although top-level sport is preserved, we try to limit the chances of clustering, of propagation of the virus within professional sports. ” As a reminder, last year, the French Open had already been postponed because of the Covid-19. Roland-Garros was held from September 27 to October 11.
The president of the FFT “does not dare to imagine a 100% gauge”
This week, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) assured to work on almost all the scenarios. The only ones that its new president Gilles Moretton “does not dare” to consider are the extremes: the 100% public gauge and inevitably the outright cancellation. “We are studying a lot of options for Roland-Garros 2021. There is the total range … or almost total because I dare not imagine a 100% gauge. But the gauge can start from behind closed doors to a gauge that will not be 100%. All the options with us are ready. We meet all the players regularly and we wait to see how things will turn out “, declared the boss of the FFT before concluding:” For the moment, we are in the race, the tournament is on the scheduled date. But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures. The worst being the outright cancellation, but I dare not not imagine that. “