Hit in the head and replaced prematurely in the match of the VI Nations Tournament against Wales last week, Irish opener Jonathan Sexton still wanted to play against France on Sunday. But he does not appear in the group selected for the meeting. Scrum-half Conor Murray is also forfeited.
This is the end of the debate. At the heart of many discussions since his supposed concussion last week against Wales, Irish opener Jonathan Sexton will not play against the XV of France on Sunday in Dublin, during the second day of the VI Nations Tournament.
Ireland has indeed communicated its group on Friday, and its usual number 10 is neither among the holders, nor among the replacements. Note also the absences of second row James Ryan, and scrum half Conor Murray, partner of Sexton in hinge.
Yet he wanted to be reassuring
“Irish captain Johnny Sexton and vice-captain James Ryan have not fulfilled all the conditions this week of the return-to-play protocols, and are therefore not selected for selection,” said the XV of Clover in a statement. Murray suffers from hamstrings.
Victim of a knee blow to the head last Sunday during the Irish defeat in Wales (21-16), Sexton – already the victim of numerous concussions in his career – had appeared stunned when he left the field, at 10 minutes from the final whistle. However, during the post-match press conference, the opener said he was determined to play against the Blues. “I’m fine now, he assured. Obviously I took a hit on the head, but I feel good. I just have a little lump on my temple. I’m used to it now. I will do all of them. return to play protocols and I very much hope that I get the deal to train this week. “
Astonished by this exit, some specialists, including the neurologist Jean-François Chermann, had sounded the alarm. Before Sexton said he was “saddened” by these “inappropriate” observations about his health.