- FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup to be held in India from 17 February to 7 March next year
- FIFA decides after deep assessment of circumstances due to Kovid-19 epidemic
- In this competition, 16 teams including host India will participate, to be organized at 5 venues.
- Union Sports Minister Kiran Rijiju promised full support to the tournament
The FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup, postponed due to the deadly corona virus, will now be held in India from 17 February to 7 March next year. FIFA, the world’s largest body of football, made the decision on Tuesday after conducting an in-depth assessment of the epidemic. The tournament was earlier scheduled to be held from November 2 to 21 this year but was postponed last month due to the outbreak of Corona virus epidemic around the world.
FIFA announced that the tournament’s original eligibility criteria would remain and thus allowed players born on or after January 1, 2003 and December 31, 2005 or earlier. “After an in-depth assessment of the impact of the Kovid-19 pandemic and the recommendations of the FIFA Confederation Kovid-19 Working Group, the FIFA Council Bureau decided to ratify the proposed new dates for the tournament,” FIFA said in the statement.
16 teams will participate in this competition and will be held at five venues including Kolkata, Guwahati, Bhubaneshwar, Ahmedabad and Navi Mumbai. India, as the host country, have automatically qualified for this World Cup. Sports Minister Kiran Rijiju promised full support to the tournament after the new World Cup date was announced.
All India Football Federation (AIFF) President Praful Patel also assured of a good event. The LOC also welcomed the decision and assured full preparedness. LOC said, “We are waiting for the tournament to have a fantastic table. This will be the right platform to develop and popularize women’s football in India. ‘