According to the local press, the Canadian Grand Prix for this 2021 Formula 1 season may be canceled by decision of the authorities in relation to the coronavirus epidemic. However, there is no official announcement yet.
The single-seaters may not run on the Gilles-Villeneuve circuit for the second year in a row. According to information reported Thursday by Radio Canada, the Montreal health authorities have issued an unfavorable opinion concerning the holding of the Formula 1 Grand Prix scheduled for the weekend of June 13. The public health body considers that the risks in relation to the coronavirus epidemic are too great, including behind closed doors.
To avoid such a decision, the organizers of F1 would have proposed solutions, with the establishment of a strict health bubble for the 1,300 people mobilized for such an event. Such a device would involve, in particular, the reservation of entire hotels and the use of private transport. But this proposal would not therefore have convinced the local authorities, worried about the volunteers mobilized, but also with regard to the development of the variants of Covid-19.
Ottawa must vote
However, nothing is canceled for the time being. In a daily interview Press, Quebec Minister Caroline Proulx said that no decision had yet been taken. She thus explained that she wished to have the position of the capital, Ottawa, on this subject: “Now, I need to obtain the opinion of the Federal Public Health, which I am waiting for,” she said. she underlined, while making it known that she was personally in favor of the smooth running of the race.
Returning to the calendar after being canceled last year due to the pandemic, the Canadian GP is supposed to be the seventh round of the 2021 Formula 1 World Championship season. It is due to precede the French GP, scheduled for June 27 at Le Castellet.