The presidential election at the head of the French Football Federation takes place this Saturday and sees the outgoing Noël Le Graët oppose, and two other candidates: Frédéric Thiriez and Michel Moulin. RMC Sport tells you how the ballot will be decided on the new boss of French football.
At the end of a mandate which ended with the crisis linked to the coronavirus and the end of the amateur championships, Noël Le Graët (79) is a candidate for his own succession at the head of the FFF this Saturday. Facing the Breton, the former president of the LFP Frédéric Thiriez (68) harshly pinned the positions of NLG concerning amateur football. An observation shared by the third contender, the businessman and ex-leader of PSG Michel Moulin (60 years old), who also presented himself during this election and whose most prominent position remains the desire to have explanations on the sidelining of Karim Benzema at the Blues.
Between deep reform of French football, management of the health crisis, better distribution of wealth between amateurs and professionals and competitiveness of the French teams, the next president of the body and his team will tackle their four years of mandate with major projects.
Who are the voters?
If all FFF licensees do not vote in this election, French football wants to be represented as a whole thanks to members from both the professional and amateur world, sports and administration. The voters called upon to designate or re-elect the president are the members of the Federal Assembly, namely delegates from all professional clubs, certain amateur clubs, as well as regional and district leagues.
These delegates number 218 and are allocated a total of 34,460 votes, according to the Federation. In detail, these are the 45 leaders of professional clubs, leaders of 22 regional leagues and those of 91 local districts, plus other delegates. In total, 63% of the votes come from the amateur world and the remaining 37% of the votes come from the professional world (60% distributed between L1 clubs, 40% between L2 and N1 clubs).
The voting process
The electors vote for a list of twelve people called to occupy the twelve seats of the Executive Committee (“comex”) of the Federation. The future president is the one at the top of the victorious list. The electoral college, before deciding its choice definitively, will listen to each candidate list successively present its project for ten minutes, during an elective General Assembly scheduled by videoconference this Saturday from 11:00 am. A secret and remote vote, because of the health restrictions linked to Covid-19, will then be organized.
The election is based on a two-round majority list ballot. If a list obtains the absolute majority of votes cast in the first round, it is declared victorious and obtains all the seats on the FFF Executive Committee. If this is not the case, the two lists arriving in the first two places will then be decided in a second round, this time by an absolute majority of the votes cast. Here again, the list obtaining more than 50% of the votes wins all the seats on the FFF executive committee.
What role for the 12 elected officials?
In addition to the next elected president, each list will therefore include eleven women and men (a minimum of three running mates is defined by the statutes of the election) called to lead the FFF for the next four years. After the head of the list, the next three elected officials will occupy the positions of vice-president, general secretary and general treasurer within the French Football Federation.
The eight other members elected to the committee of the body will occupy non-executive functions and generally deal with specific issues such as arbitration questions, the French youth teams or even the management itself of French amateur football.
Once the presidential election to the FFF is completed and the president known, the twelve elected members will be officially appointed to the executive committee of the Federation. They will thus join the two ex officio members of the Committee: the president of the Professional Football League (LFP), Vincent Labrune and the President of the Amateur Football League (LFA), Marc Debarbat.