Olympic Games: too much wind for rowing but waves for surfing, the typhoon impacts the program

The difficult weather conditions, and in particular Typhoon Nepartak, upset some events at the Olympic Games in Tokyo. Rowing had to cancel the events scheduled for Monday and Tuesday, while sailing and surfing hope to take the opportunity to provide a good show.

In search of an Olympic medal, the French coxswains will have to take their troubles patiently. The organizers of the Tokyo Olympics have chosen to cancel the rowing events scheduled for Monday and Tuesday at the Sea Forest Waterway. The bad weather, and in particular a typhoon, disrupted the Olympic meeting. Strong gusts of wind are expected on Tuesday, which could make conditions impractical for rowing, organizers said in order to justify their decision.

The Blues of rowing will wait for Wednesday

According to the Japanese Meteorological Agency, Typhoon Nepartak, with gusts of up to 90 km / h, was still some 1,800 kilometers south of Tokyo on Saturday. But it is on track to arrive in the host city of the Olympic Games by Tuesday, the Japanese meteorological agency said.

In the tricolor clan, the semi-finals of the men’s two de pointe (the Turlan twins) and those of the lightweight pair with the duo composed of Claire Bové and Laura Tarantola have been postponed to Wednesday. The final of the men’s pairings with Hugo Boucheron and Matthieu Androdias remains scheduled for Wednesday.

ALSO READ  Real: Varane refuses to talk about his extension

Sailing and surfing take advantage of the wind

If rowing has chosen to postpone two days of competition, sailing intends to take advantage of the complicated weather. The International Sailing Federation (World Sailing) has maintained all its regattas and the wind even offers the athletes ideal conditions for their first events. After a somewhat disappointing start due to the lack of waves, the surf competition also gained in intensity thanks to the typhoon which hit Japan.

“I made the best combination in the choice of my material for these still very small conditions, explained Michel Bourez after his qualification for the round of 16. The waves will get bigger by this Sunday evening and I will obviously change my material for the rest of the competition (Monday, editor’s note). I’m just waiting for that, that the swell arrives and that I can show the best of myself. “

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.