According to the Catalan daily Sport, Joan Laporta and Ronald Koeman, president and coach of Barça, expressed their great confidence to the supporters about the extension of Lionel Messi.
While awaiting the resumption of the players on July 12, Joan Laporta and Ronald Koeman met Thursday for dinner on the sidelines of the Koeman Cup, a solidarity golf tournament sponsored by the Catalan coach and whose funds will be donated to the hospital for children Sant Joan de Déu of Barcelona. Both men resumed planning for the upcoming season with big smiles in front of the audience. Great confidence too. And the two men sent a reassuring message on the hot issue of the moment: the extension of Lionel Messi.
“We are very quiet,” Laporta told reporters’ questions. “Everything is fine,” he added. According to the daily, the Argentine star – free since June 30 – has given his agreement to extend his lease with his club forever. But the club is currently scrambling to integrate Messi’s staggering salary into the nails imposed by the Spanish League. Javier Tebas, president of La Liga, refused to compromise with Barça and to review the salary cap downwards to allow the officialization of the extension.
>> Follow all the transfer window LIVE
The latter was even very alarmist on the chances of seeing Messi quickly settle the question of his future. “I don’t know if Messi will start La Liga with Barça,” he said. Despite this, optimism reigns in Barca’s ranks, according to Sport. Lionel Messi is currently focused on his big goal: the Copa America final with Argentina against Brazil on Sunday.
Executives refused to cut wages for Messi
The threat of leaving for another club still looms large. PSG is still one of the potential interested parties. In great economic difficulty, Barça is active to find a solution. Last week, the Cadena Cope ensured that the leaders had asked the executives of the locker room to reduce their wages to allow to settle the note on this one of Messi. But they would have refused.